We began with an old car as the mobile clinic and five volunteers.
Read our full story here.
Who We Are
Kawempe Home Care was started in July 2007 by a group of devoted health professionals, as they saw a need to provide medical support for the most disadvantaged people in the community. The community we support is in the Kawempe division of the Kampala district and Nangabo sub-county in the Wakiso district.
With the increase in awareness of our services in the community more clients are coming to KHC for help. It is important we continue to be proactive in encouraging people in the community to come to us for HIV and or TB testing so we can detect the illness as early as possible.
Kawempe Home Care has cared for a cumulative total of 4800 HIV/AIDS clients as at the end of March 2019.
We provide assistance to:
- 8117 people were counselled and tested for HIV of which 313 were positive and enrolled into care.
- 1998 active clients of whom 91.4% are adults and 8.6% are children under 18 years.
- 1837 clients are receiving Antiretroviral Therapy (ART) and 26 clients are currently on TB treatment.
- 291 Home Based Care visits were made of which 29 were emergency cases.
- 24 clients who have cancer, are receiving palliative care.
- 25 female clients were screened for cervical cancer.
- Family Planning project with the cooperation of Sustain Health Partnership (UK), has strengthen the program to increase Family Planning access to 3145 disadvantaged girls and women.
- 52 women are on our Elimination of Mother to Child Transmission program.
- 109 Orphan & Vulnerable children (OVC) participate in our OVC programs. 71 children are receiving education support and 38 are on our Day Care program.
What we have been able to achieve so far would not have been possible without the wonderful financial and the in- kind support of our friends and partners.
To find out more about what we have achieved please read our latest Annual Report (April 2017 – March 2018)
A vibrant self-sustaining centre of excellence, providing compassionate healthcare.
To deliver quality healthcare to people with HIV, TB, Cancer and other health related issues through community based holistic care models.
- Comprehensive care and support for people with HIV/AIDS, Tuberculosis and other health related issues
- Comprehensive care for orphans and vulnerable children
- Patient support and Palliative care for people with cancer.
- Advocacy for improved healthcare
- Building capacity for Organisational Sustainability, including establishing a home for KHC.
Our core values
Compassionate care; Honesty & integrity; Accountability & transparency; Excellence: Non-discrimination/ respect for each other: Commitment to empowering; and developing people to their optimum potential.